This is a really unusual way to boost your beetroot intake, plus there is nothing more joyful to see than a pink loaf of bread. Serve with a tasty soup or toasted for breakfast under a poached egg, this is a wonderful addition to your week.
- 250g gluten-free white flour
- 250g gluten-free brown bread flour
- 1½ tbsp baking powder
- 1 handful (50g) roughly chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp rosemary, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 2-3 medium beetroot (200g), steamed or baked then pureed
- 1 egg
- 180-200ml nut milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider-vinegar or lemon juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c fan. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another, reserving 20ml of the nut milk. Mix the dry into the wet ingredients, adding a little more nut milk as need to bring it together. It should be just wet enough to absorb the flours but dry enough to hold its shape.
- On a clean, lightly floured surface, shape the dough into a round loaf and make four cuts on top about 2 cm deep.
- Bake for about 60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack completely before cutting open.