This is an easy way to make a handsome burger base out of cauliflower. They are great with these beef burgers but if that’s not your thing try my Green Burgers (Cook. Nourish. Glow. page 306-7), or simply have on its own with your favourite salad.
You’ll Need (Serves 4)
For the Cauliflower Steak
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, or ghee, melted
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 cauliflower heads
For the Beef Burgers
- 500g organic minced beef
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp English mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- black pepper
- 2 tsp coconut oil or ghee
- Sliced tomato
You will also need a cooling rack placed over a baking tray – if you don’t have this straight onto a baking tray is fine.
- Pre heat oven to 200 fan.
- Cut the whole cabbages into 2.5 cm slices, you should get 2 complete slices from the centre and some lose florets. Mix the melted coconut oil and paprika together, and brush over the slices and loose pieces and place on the rack. Cook in the oven for 15 minutes, until it is slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, mix all of the burger ingredients together and shape into 4 patties roughly 10cm and 2cm. Chill until ready to cook.
- Heat a griddle or frying pan to medium hot, brush the patties with a little melted coconut oil and cook for around 4-5 minutes each side, making sure they are cooked through.
- Serve the burgers on the cauliflower steaks with your choice of extras. The loose florets are great as finger food on the side, or save these for a salad.