Here’s a recipe for the whole family – it’s a much healthier (and dare I say, tastier!) version of chicken nuggets. Throw in a good measure of childhood nostalgia and enjoy.
Prep time: 10 minutes // Chill time: 30 minutes // Cook time: 15 minutes
Ingredients (serves 2-3):
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 250ml coconut milk
- 115g coconut flour
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 75g desiccated coconut
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 4 large lettuce leaves from an iceberg or cos lettuce, to serve
- 1 avocado, peeled, stoned and cut into small cubes
- 1 mango, peeled, stoned and cut into small cubes
- 15g fresh coriander, torn
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 red chilli, finely diced
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
1. Put the chicken cubes in a bowl with the coconut milk and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the mango salsa. Mix the avocado, mango, coriander, onion and chilli together in a bowl and pour over the coconut aminos.
3. Refrigerate until needed.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
5. Put the flour and spices in a bowl and put the desiccated coconut on a plate.
6. Take a chicken cube, roll it in the spiced flour, then roll it in the desiccated coconut until it is well coated, then put it on a baking tray. Repeat with the remaining chicken cubes.
7. Pour the melted coconut oil over the chicken and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through, golden brown and crispy.
Photo Credit: Ali Allen