I never subscribe to the notion that salads are just for summer, and as the seasons change I always find a way to make a perfect plate out of natures offerings. This salad is the perfect combination of crunchy, creamy, & nutty topped with this earthy and vibrant turmeric dressing. It’s a real autumnal celebration on a plate.
If you don’t have kale, try cabbage or watercress. Fennel could easily be replaced by slivers of shaved carrot. I think this dressing is amazing and worth making, especially if you can fine fresh turmeric but if you are short on time, drizzle with good olive oil and dash of apple cider vinegar.
For the Salad
- 1 big head of fennel, trimmed, quartered and finely sliced
- 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 150g kale or cavolo nero
- 2 shallot, finely diced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 30g pistachios, chopped
For the Dressing
- 15g piece of fresh turmeric, peeled and roughly chopped, or ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 10g piece of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp honey
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp Maldon salt
- If using fresh turmeric, use gloves to remove the skin with a teaspoon, this also works well for ginger peeling.
- Blend the dressing ingredients with 3 tbsp cold water for a few minutes in a small food processor until smooth and creamy. Check for seasoning and adjust salt and lemon to taste. You may need to add a 1-2 tbsp more water to thin it. Some tahini is thicker than others, the dressing should be about the texture of double cream. Leave this in a jam jar until you are ready to use it. It can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for a few days.
- Toss the fennel and apple in lemon juice to stop them browning. Remove any tough stalks from the kale, stack leaves in layers, tightly roll then thinly slice. If you have a bag of already chopped kale, cut it into finer pieces.
- Toss the vegetables together and drizzle with dressing and a sprinkle of pistachios.
Photo credit: Emma Godwin