I’ve always been a fan of frittatas and have often encouraged clients with busy households to make up frittata slices to keep in the fridge for quick snacks or meals. But a frattata is of course a natural at breakfast and making mini ones using muffin trays is ideal. I didn’t create this concept, I saw a picture on pinterest and had to give it a go, but never being one to follow any recipe, I set about making up my own method. It’s great fun, super easy and quick (always my preference) and they are simply delicious. I made up 21 for a weekend with friends and they couldn’t get enough of them. And pretty much any filling goes… all you need to do is whisk eggs in a bowl.
- Grease the muffin tray holes with coconut butter (or olive oil).
- Choose your fillings and put a small teaspoon in the bottom of each muffin tray then spoon over the whisked egg until they are just filled.
- Bake in the oven on a medium heat, roughly 150°c for 10 mins or until they are cooked through.
- They are fluffy and light and a lovely way to feed a busy breakfast bunch AND they are great hot, warm or cold. Play around with the fillings, use leftovers and make sure you add in flavour. Here are my favourites so far but I’d love to hear what you come up with!
Try these egg ‘muffin’ fillings:
- Sundried tomato, chilli & paprika
- Beetroot & feta
- Roasted squash and Sage
- Avocado, Spinach, chives & basil
- Roasted peppers, paprika & parsley