Many of my clients recoil at the thought of vegetables at breakfast but this nutrient dense vegetable broth is a beautiful way to start the day, although that’s not to say that you cannot enjoy it at any time for a natural energy burst. Chicken stock, or bone broth, is a hydrating way to get a tasty dose of dietary collagen, which may improve skin elasticity, and all the delicious vegetables also boost your intake of essential vitamins and minerals.
Ingredients Serves 2
- sea salt
- 1/4 pound leeks, white part only, finely chopped
- 1/4 pound baby spinach
- 4 spears of green asparagus
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 piece of kombu seaweed, approx. 0.7 ounce (buy on Amazon or at health food stores)
- 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
- 1/2/ cup fresh or frozen baby peas
- 1 granny smith apple, skin on, cored and chopped into small cubes
1. Bring a big pot of water to a boil and add a generous pinch of sea salt. Blanch the chopped leeks for 7 minutes and refresh in ice-cold water. Then blanch the spinach and asparagus for 1 minute each and refresh in ice-cold water.
2. Heat the stock with the kombu seaweed. Once it is simmering, take a few tablespoons of stock out and add it to a bowl with the matcha tea, little by little, while stirring. First you’ll have a thick paste, then add more stock until you have a runny mixture.
3. Add the peas to the pan of stock and heat for another 2 minutes, then add the leeks, spinach, asparagus, chopped apple, and the blended matcha tea. Discard the kombu. Remove the pan from the heat, stir, and serve.
Taken from Cook. Nourish. Glow.
Photo credit: Susan Bell