This recipe featured in my #EatInSeason series for February: Kale (click here for other delicious kale recipes).
This is a clean and simple kale soup that holds its own alone but comes alive with a tangy fresh pistachio and lemon pistou stirred in.
You’ll Need (Serves 6)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 500ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 700ml water
- 1 medium sweet potato, small diced
- 1 cm fresh ginger, peeled and grated (10 grams)
- 4 big sage leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tin cannellini beans, drained
- 1 courgette, cut in large batons
- 150g kale, stalks removed, chopped
For the Pistachio and Lemon Pistou
- 80g raw pistachios
- 2 small clove garlic
- 50g basil or parsley
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 -3 tbsp water
- In a large pan, fry the onions and carrots in the coconut oil for 5-6 minutes until softened then add the garlic for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the stock, sweet potato, ginger, herbs and beans, cover with water and bring to the boil, simmer for 5 minutes then add the courgette and kale and simmer for another 10 – 15 minutes, until cooked. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile in a small blender make the pistou by whizzing up all the ingredients, adding the water at the end, season to taste.
- Serve with a big dollop of pistou on top.