Gluten Free Although the weather isn’t always kind to us in Britain, an easy way to evoke the sunnier climes of southern France is through this traditional French recipe. Rather than a classic dough, my version is entirely gluten-free and won’t leave you feeling bloated or lethargic. Light and fresh, it’s delicious served with a colourful, crisp salad.
You’ll Need (Serves 6-8)
For the topping
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large cloves of garlic, sliced
- 2 cloves
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- a generous pinch of salt
- 90g anchovies
- 50g black olives
- 150g ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 4–5 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 120g coconut oil, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 further egg yolk
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the oil and add the onions, bay leaves, garlic, cloves, thyme and salt. Cover and leave to cook gently for 60 minutes. The onions will reduce in volume and become a deep golden but should not burn. Stir very occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan/gas 6, and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- To make the pastry, combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth; you may need to push everything down a few times.
- Lay out a strip of cling film and place a quarter of the dough in the middle, then cover with another strip of cling film and roll into a rectangle 11 x 15cm. Place on a baking tray and repeat with the rest of the dough, so you have 4 rectangles. Place in the freezer for 20 minutes. Carefully peel back one layer of cling film, invert the frozen pastry bases on to a lined baking sheet and peel off the second layer of cling film. Bake for 10–15 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Spread the onion mix on top, leaving a small border. Arrange the anchovies in diagonal lines that cross over each other to form diamond shapes, then place an olive in the middle of each diamond.
- Cook in the oven for 5–6 minutes, then allow to cool on the tray for 5 minutes. Gently slide on to a chopping board – this is delicate pastry.
Delicious served warm or cold.