This is one of my favourite ‘go-to’ soups: it bursts with nutrients, is super healthy and surprisingly tasty. I suggest cooking up a good batch so that you have a few extra portions to pop into the freezer (I’m sure, like me, that you have days when there isn’t a great deal of fresh produce to hand; I find that a quick bowl of warm, nourishing soup can help halt any negative food digressions).
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, roughly chopped
2 sticks of celery, roughly chopped
2 large handfuls of kale or spinach or both, preferably organic
1 1/2 cups of cashew nuts
1 litre chicken or vegetable stock (bouillon is fine to use)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Sauté the onion, garlic, carrot & celery in a pan with a tsp of coconut oil.
2. Once softened, add in the cashew nuts along with the kale or spinach, vinegar and the stock.
3. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer for 4 mins.
4. Remove from the heat, leave to cool then blend with a handheld blender or in a mixer.
5. I like to drizzle a little lemon or lime juice over the top when serving.
Photo credit: Kirstin Davies