The ingredient list here could easily read ‘any green spring vegetables that your garden or greengrocer has to offer’, so use it as a base and try other greens like globe artichokes, chicory, baby spinach, or little gem hearts.
You’ll Need (serves 4-6)
- 2 tbsp good olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 small heads of fennel
- 300g broad beans, podded
- 250ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 200g peas
- 1 bunch of British asparagus
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- salt and pepper
1. In a large frying pan, heat 1tbsp of olive oil and gently sauté the onion for 5 minutes.
2. Trim the fennel head and cut into 6 or 8 wedges. Add these to the pan and cook for 4 minutes before adding the stock and broad beans.
3. Bring to the boil and then simmer vigorously for 4 minutes. Add the peas, and asparagus and cook for a few more minutes until all the vegetables are cooked and the liquid is all but gone.
4. Finish with a generous squeeze of lemon juice, a drizzle of olive oil and season to taste.
5. Serve warm, great with lamb or fish and just as tasty the next day cold for lunch.