This recipe celebrates naturally gluten-free grains.
This is a stunning winter grain salad using everything purple and pink with nutty wild rice. If the bitter radicchio or chicory are hard to find, red cabbage works very well here too. Give the rice a thorough rinse before soaking.
Eating a rainbow of colours from your food is important for maximising your intake of healthy ‘polyphenols’ (compounds that are found naturally in many plants). These have been shown to have many beneficial effects once metabolised in the body. Often, ingredients that are deep purple or blue (such as the radicchio, pomegranate and dark coloured rice here), contain some of the highest concentrations of polyphenols in our food.
You’ll Need (Serves 4 – 6)
- 300g black or Carmargue rice – pre soaked 12-24 hours
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 raddichio, or 2 red chicory
- 1 pink grapefruit (+ one more for dressing)
- 1 pomegranate (the kernels)
- red amaranth sprouts – optional
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp fresh pink grapefruit juice (roughly half a grapefruit)
- 1 tsp salt
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- In a small bowl, toss the sliced onion in lemon juice and set aside for 10 minutes, it should become a gorgeous pink.
- If you have your own perfect way to cook rice use that. Otherwise, rinse the rice well then cover in ample water, bring to the boil, lower and simmer for 20-25mins (this will depend on how long the rice was soaked). Thoroughly drain in a sieve, put back in the hot pan for 30 seconds to burn off any remaining liquid, turn off the heat cover and leave to steam for 5-10 minutes. Allow to cool before tossing with the rest of the ingredients and dressing. Enjoy!