It would be unrealistic not to enjoy the odd overindulgence. We’ve all suffered from the morning after effects of too much alcohol but instead of the usual English fry-up or pain au chocolate to ease the pain, why not be a little savvier with your choice of recovery food by avoiding the evil clutches of the sugar and carb spiral?
Here’s my perfect-day-after sandwich to help you clean up! Using powerful foods that contain antioxidants to assist the liver’s natural detoxification process, nutrients to soothe the digestive system and protein to re-energise:
- 2 slices of Biona buckwheat or millet bread, toasted
- ½ an Avocado, sliced with lemon juice drizzled over
- 1 organic egg, whisked with fresh black pepper and pink or sea salt
- 2 tbsp of broccoli sprouts, rinsed and dried
- 1 tablespoon of Sauerkraut (or kimchi if you like it)
- Watercress & Spinach
- 1 tsp of artichoke paste (can be bought in supermarkets, health food shops and deli’s)
- Coconut oil/butter
- Toast the bread & spread with coconut butter & the artichoke paste.
- Whisk and scramble the egg with a little coconut oil
- Peel and slice the avocado & put into a bowl.
- Mix in a tablespoon of sauerkraut or kimchi
- Now to assemble your sandwich:
- Put a layer of greens such spinach & watercress on one slice of toast.
- Add on the avocado and sauerkraut
- Then the scrambled egg on top.
- Then the broccoli spouts.
- A bit of pink salt and fresh black pepper.
- Put the other slice on top, push down and cut in half using a sharp knife.
- Let the food do it’s magic!
And drink water …… hydration is key to swift recovery.