Here is a long-time festive favourite of mine – honestly, I could eat it any day of the year – it’s super simple to cook and authentically festive and delicious. This would make a brilliant rainbow addition to your Christmas lunch or any other meal this December. And best of all, it can be prepared ahead of time.
Serves 6-8 // Prep 15 mins // Cook 45 mins
Time saving tips: the cabbage can be cooked up to 3 days in advance and kept in the fridge. The nuts and seeds can be toasted up to a week in advance and kept in an airtight container.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and grated (about 25g)
- 1 red cabbage, quartered cored and shredded
- 2 small eating apples (such as braeburn or cox), cored and sliced
- 25g dried sour cherries
- 2 star anise (optional)
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp coconut nectar
- 25g pecans, roughly chopped
- 15g sunflower seeds
- 15g pumpkin seeds
- pinch ground cinnamon
- Heat the oil in a large wide saucepan.
- Add the onion and ginger and cook for 5 mins until just starting to soften.
- Add the cabbage and cook for another 5 mins.
- Add the cherries, star anise (if using), vinegar, coconut nectar and seasoning then cover and simmer for 15 mins.
- Uncover, add the apple slices and simmer for another 15 mins until the apple has softened, the cabbage is cooked and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Whilst the cabbage is cooking, toast the nuts with a pinch of cinnamon and seasoning in a non-stick frying pan on a low heat for 3-5 mins until aromatic.
- Remove the star anise from the cabbage and serve with the toasted nuts and seeds sprinkled on top.