The classic Italian flavour pairing of butternut squash, sage and pine nuts works so well here, without the need for pasta to bring it all together. The squash becomes your ‘pasta’! This makes a super lunch or light supper.
You’ll Need (serves 2)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- large handful fresh sage leaves
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and spiralised
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- squeeze of lemon juice
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large sauté pan, add the garlic and sage and fry over a low heat for 1 minute. Set aside in a bowl.
- Put the spiralised butternut squash into the same pan with a little more olive oil. Season well and sauté over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and sage mixture and the toasted pine nuts.
- Add a splash of water to help steam the squash and cook for another 2 minutes or until it is just tender. Squeeze over a little lemon juice, drizzle over a little more extra virgin olive oil and scatter over a pinch of salt and pepper.