I’m really not a fan of cereal, but for those of you that like to start your day with a little bit of crunch, this is for you. Full of healthy fats and rich in nutrients, this will help to keep you full as well as providing an energy boost. Suitable for any time of the day.
Ingredients (makes approx. 20 portions)
- 200g dates
- 100g figs
- 50g dried mulberries, raisins or prunes
- 100g chia seeds
- 200g almonds
- 100g cashews
- 100g macadamia nuts
- optional: 50g desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Soak the dried fruit overnight in 200ml water. Then blend with their soaking water, and add the chia seeds.
- Soak the nuts in salted water overnight, then discard the water and pulse the nuts in a food processor.
- Combine the chopped nuts and dried fruit mixture with your hands, and add the desiccated coconut, vanilla extract and salt.
- Spread the mixture out on to one or two oven trays and cook overnight, or until it is dry, at 80c / 60c fan / gas 1/2 – with the oven door slightly open.
- When cool, break the granola up into chunks and store in an airtight container. Serve with nut milk (see below) or coconut yoghurt and fresh berries.
A few alternative flavours to try adding into the mix:
- Banana and passion fruit
- Fig and raspberry
- Pear and grape
For the perfect dairy-free breakfast, serve with a delicious nut milk like this Hazelnut milk:
- 2 cups of hazelnuts
- 2 cups of filtered water
- 2 tsp of juice from a fresh orange (or your choice of sweetener as above)
- Nut Milk Bag
- Soak hazelnuts in water, cover & refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, drain the nuts and put into a blender
- Add fresh filtered water, roughly 2 cups & blend.
- I use a vitamix, which really blends nuts down into a fine liquid; other blenders may take longer or not be so powerful.
- Strain the liquid through milk bag (or a sieve or jelly cloth) and voila, milk!
- Lasts in the fridge for 3 days. Store in a glass jar with an airtight lid.
Taken from my new book. Cook. Nourish. Glow. Containing 120 delicious and easy to prepare recipes, I aim to equip you with the skills and knowledge to improve your health while empowering you to cook with confidence. Order your copy here.