When the temptation to indulge on chocolate-y treats come thick and fast (it happens to us all!), here’s my delicious (not too naughty) hazelnut chocolate salted caramels. These are decadent and truly delectable.
Makes 12 caramels
- 15-20 minutes
- Soak time: 20 minutes
- Freeze time: 3 hours
- 14 small medjool dates, pitted
- 75ml coconut milk
- 75ml melted coconut oil
- ¼ tsp Maldon sea salt, plus sea salt flakes for sprinkling
- ½ tsp vanilla powder
- 12 raw hazelnuts
- Coconut flour, for dusting
- 25g cocoa powder
- 25g coconut oil
- 2 tbsp coconut crystals
- Soak the dates in a bowl of hot water for 20 minutes, then drain and put them into a blender with the coconut milk, coconut oil, salt and vanilla powder.
- Blend into a smooth paste, then transfer to a freezer-proof container and freeze for 1 hour.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Roll a hazelnut in the caramel mixture until it’s coated – it’s messy and the balls won’t be a perfect shape but this doesn’t matter, just keep using teaspoons to handle the caramel. Dust with a little coconut flour so the balls don’t stick together and put onto the lined baking tray. Repeat until all the mixture is used up, then put the tray into the freezer and freeze for 3 hours.
- While the nuts are freezing, make the chocolate coating. Put all the ingredients for the coating in a pan and set over a low heat, stirring until melted. Remove from the heat and leave the mixture to cool a little until it is thick enough to drizzle over the caramel balls.
- Pour the coating over the caramel balls, sprinkle a little salt over each, then pop back into the freezer for 30 minutes.
Recipe from Eat. Nourish. Glow. by Amelia Freer. Published by Harper Thorsons.
Photo Credit: Ali Allen