If you like something a little sweet but appreciate that the processed fat-free yogurts in the supermarket do you no good at all, then try this alternative dessert. Light, fruity and all natural – it’s a mousse to soothe the senses. Perfect for summer entertaining, too.
You’ll Need (serves 3-4)
- 400g tin of coconut milk
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 75g local organic honey (or less)
- Juice and zest of 2 unwaxed organic lemons
- pinch of salt
Prep-time = 15 mins
Chill time = 4 1/2 hrs
- Chill the coconut tin in the fridge for at least 2 hours, so that the coconut cream floats to the top. You only need to use the cream, so keep the rest of the milk to flavor a soup or a smoothie.
- Place the egg yolks, honey, lemon zest and lemon juice in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water and whisk constantly for about 10 minutes until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, scoop out the chilled coconut cream from the top of the tin into a bowl and beat with a whisk or spoon until stiff.
- In separate clean bowl, beat the egg whites and sea salt until stiff.
- Fold the lemon mixture into the coconut cream, then gently fold in the egg whites.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours, then spoon into pretty glasses or bowls to serve.
This recipe appears in my book Eat. Nourish. Glow. (photo credit: Ali Allen)