Nourish you body with this welcoming salad complete with a warming ginger dressing. Lentils provide a fabulous source of protein and the beetroot adds that splash of colour I love so much.
You’ll Need (serves 2-3)
- 250g puy lentils, rinsed
- 625ml filtered water (see tip)
- 3 cooked (unpickled) beetroot, cut into small cubes
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Handful fresh mint, roughly chopped
- Handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Sea salt
For the ginger dressing
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the lentils in a medium saucepan and cover with the filtered water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer 15-20 minutes or until all the liquid has evaporated and the lentils are cooked with bite.
- Transfer the lentils to a large bowl and leave to cool, or rinse under cold water in a sieve to cool quickly.
- Once the lentils are cool, add the beetroot, spring onions, hazelnuts and herbs, then stir to combine.
- To make the dressing, put the ginger, mustard, oil and vinegar in a bowl and whizz with a stick blender. Season, then drizzle over the salad.
This recipe appears in my book Eat. Nourish. Glow. (photo credit: Ali Allen)