I decided a few years ago to ‘go against the grain’. Finding good breakfast options was a challenge, it’s by far the hardest meal of the day to make gluten-free. Enter the sexy little chia seed – with more omega-3 fatty acids than salmon, a wealth of antioxidants and minerals, a complete source of protein and more fibre than flax seed. Here they are soaked overnight so you don’t have to prepare anything in your rushed mornings.
A few of my clients were turned off by the ‘frog-spawn'(!) texture of the soaked seeds so I added wonderful dairy-free coconut yoghurt to the recipe to give the breakfast a wonderful decadent but complete healthy creaminess.
- 2 tbsp chia seed
- 1 tbsp coconut yoghurt
- 1/2-1 cup of almond or coconut milk
- Juice & zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup of fresh berries (or yummy figs if they are in season!)
- Soak the chia seed overnight in the orange juice.
- In the morning, stir in the milk & pour into serving bowl.
- Add a dollop of coconut yoghurt then sprinkle the fruit on top and scatter the orange zest. Voila!