Taken from ‘Winter Inspiration‘: 6 seasonal dishes that I hope will inspire you to celebrate some of this season’s delights.
These meatballs lend themselves perfectly to sharing – lay all the parts out and encourage people to make up their own tacos. I’ve served these with spicy harissa, but they also work well with hummus, tahini, some pomegranate seeds and peppery rocket.
You’ll Need (Makes 12 -15 balls)
- 450 turkey mince
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 2 handful of parsley or coriander, chopped – save a few sprigs for garnish
- ½ tsp salt flakes
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 1 egg
- pinch of chilli flakes – optional
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- small tub of plain coconut (or goat) yoghurt
- harissa paste to serve
- extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
- coriander leaves to serve
- 1 packet of corn tortillas (I order mine from Cool Chilli Company)
- Mix the turkey mince, onion, parsley, salt, pepper, chilli flakes and egg together well in a bowl. Prepare a tray lined with baking paper and with wet hands form the mixture into balls around 40g each, a little smaller than a golf ball. You should make 12-15. Leave to chill for at least 30 minutes in the fridge so they firm up.
- Heat the oven to 200fan/220/ Gas 7
- Brown these first in a little oil in a frying pan, rolling to colour evenly for just couple of minutes then put in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until cooked through. Break one open to check.
- Warm the tacos for a few minutes, either under the grill or in a dry frying pan and serve with turkey balls, harissa, yoghurt, coriander and a drizzle of oil.
Photo credit: Emma Godwin