This recipe is taken from my #EatInSeason series for November.
I love to eat warm salads at this time of year. This one, using Jerusalem artichokes, is nicely filling and delicious; if you’ve never eaten Jerusalem artichoke before, it’s a little like a potato but nutty, earthy and velvety – but eat in moderation as they are notoriously hard to digest (see my post here). Try topping with chicken or goat’s cheese, hazelnuts and crispy sage. It’s just as tasty at room temperature if you’ve made it ahead.
You’ll Need (Serves 4)
- 400g Jerusalem artichokes
- 200g carrots
- 2-3 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 bunch of kale
For the Dressing
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 2 tbsp good olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- Preheat oven to 200/180c gas mark 4.
- Peel and cut the carrots into batons. Wash and scrub (or peel) the Jerusalem artichokes and cut into chunks. Toss with the carrots and oil, season and scatter on an oven tray in a single layer and roast for 30-35 minutes, or until they are soft and golden.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together and steam the kale until just tender. When the vegetables are roasted, toss everything in the dressing, while still warm.